Top 5 Artists for the week of 3/11/09  

Posted by BB in , , , , , , ,

So this is obviously like the top 5 Writers list but with artists for the books in which I read for the week of 3/11/09. Not all are always going to be from that shipping week but instead what I have purchased and read that week. So without further ado here we go.

5. Patrick Gleason (Green Lantern Corps) - So Gleason in Green Lantern Corps #34 provided us with one brutal fight scene between Mongul and Arkillo. Leveling cities, rubble falling around them and blood oh yes there was blood. He also gave us great character interactions. He did a great job of conveying Sodam's anger. The green glowing eyes and chest on the opening page would not have been as effective had Gleason not provided such a great figure. I also really enjoyed his Kryb stuff. Very creepy with the crying children left alone. Although we have to go back to the fight between Arkillo and Mongul. The final shot with Mongul triumphant holding Arkillo's tongue is amazing. What a shot. Mongul looks as dominant as ever and clearly comes across as no joke.

4. Jorge Molina w/ Adrian Syuf (Nightcrawler Manifest Destiny One-Shot) - While the one shot itself was anything but revolutionary the art was quite enjoyable. Molina is credited as getting help from Syuf but I am not sure who did what. For the purpose of this I am going to give credit to Molina as he seems to be the main guy according to the credits. Molina did a great job of capturing Nightcawler's swashbuckling spirit. It has been a long time since I have seen a Nightcrawler I liked this much. I would love to see him tackle something a little more high profile to see what else he has to offer.

3. Ron Lim (Skaar Son of Hulk) - I gotta say Lim's art on this title is one of my favorites monthly. Not sure what exactly it is but his art mixed with the wonderful coloring job done on this book make it very stunning to flip through. It definitely brings with it that fantasy feel that I usually am not as big into but for me it really works here on this title.

2. Tony Daniel (Batman: Battle for the Cowl) - I know that Daniels art isn't something you would find in a art house. It is that big blockbuster event kind of art. Clean lines, dramatic poses and things of that sort. That is exactly what kind of book Battle for the Cowl is so it works wonderfully. He definitely seems to be channeling some Jim Lee here but it looks great. His rendering of Black Mask just might be my favorite of the character as he just looks fucking terribly evil.

1. Tony Moore (Ghost Rider) - This is another title that utilizes more of a muted color palette and I enjoy it a great deal. The detail in Moore's art is what really does it for me. Every time I read it I am absolutely enthralled with the environments of the panels. His ability to capture emotion is something else that seems to set him apart from many of his peers. I strongly believe that Moore is at the beginning of a meteoric rise at Marvel and if they don't utilize him correctly over time DC will. Until that time he is a solid fit for Ghost Rider. I wouldn't mind seeing him on Iron Fist for a stint.

Stay tuned weekly as we continue this feature. At the end of the month an artist will be declared artist of the month. For this month Tony Moore is the first nominee. Here's looking forward to next week.

0 rants

Post a Comment

Inmates

Archives

Comic Central
© WebRing Inc.
Comic Central
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>
Comic Blog Elite