DC Showcase  

Posted by BB in , ,

So I recently started reading my first DC Showcase tpb. It's DC Showcase Green Lantern volume 1. I gotta say these things are pretty fucking sweet. This thing has 500 pages and a cover cost of $9.99. You divide that out and you'll surely see that is an astounding deal. I noticed that not all DC Showcase are priced this way but I think the highest priced volume I saw was $16.99 which is still an awesome deal for 500 pages.

Anyway, this thing is Bible sized and starts out with the earliest appearances of the Green Lantern Hal Jordan back in 1959's DC Showcase #22 and carries on through 62's Green Lantern #17. It's amazing to read this stuff 50 years later and see how much things have changed in the world of comics. I also hadn't realized that by the time Blackest Night wraps it will be Hal Jordan's 50th anniversary. I hope DC will acknowledge this.

This thing is all black and white but honestly I think that is great. Sometimes with the old 50+ years comic back issues the coloring really doesn't do the original pencils justice. Reading this I am really digging Gil Kane's art. The writing by John Broome is very standard for the time. An example being that the same plot lines are drilled into you every issue. Such as initially every story involves Hal battling something that just happens to be yellow. The color yellow must have been hella prevalent back in the late 50's early 60's cause I swear I don't run into that much yellow in a fucking week. Either way these are some really fun stories.

These DC Showcase books are great for a quick read when your bored. Problem is you start reading them and the next thing you know your 40 pages into it. I tend to read it while i'm pooping or at work with nothing to do. These really are the best shit novels in existence. Just toss it on the back of the toilet and come back to it the next time you gotta drop a deuce. I used to do the same thing with Marvel's Essentials. Marvel's Essentials though cost a tad more. (Isn't nice to get to know me a little more than you want to?)

Anyone else reading these? If not i'd suggest picking them up. They may seem a little hokey cause of their age and era but they really are a lot simpler and fun then some of the heavier shit nowadays. It's also a lot of fun to get to the beginnings of your favorite characters since very few can afford to buy the single issues that this behemoth collects.

If you are reading them or have read them before can anyone suggest some other fun Showcases to read? I'll clearly try and finish out the Green Lantern stuff but aside from that i'm not sure. Others I saw that piqued my interest were Justice League, Batman, Superman and Legion of Superheroes. So if you got anything to suggest just slap the rant link below and drop me a suggestion. Appreciate it in advance.

0 rants

Post a Comment

Inmates

Archives

Comic Central
© WebRing Inc.
Comic Central
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>
Comic Blog Elite